Thursday, May 26, 2011

Anchor Brewing Porter


I am not going to claim to be a porter aficionado but I must say the Anchor Brewing Company Porter is very good. This is really only my second porter I have ever really taken the time to sit down and analyze and I am glad I have taken a liking to this style. The Anchor Brewing Company is living museum of how beer was made and still should be made. Their beers boost that they are made from 100% malted barley and choice hops, brewed in cooper kettles, and made in he traditional ways. As for their Porter, it pours a jet black with a great thick almost mocha/brown/off white head with great lacing. The smell reminds me of slightly roasted malt with subtle hints of molasses and toffee. The mouth feel is somewhere between medium to light in body, with hints of roasted barley, a slight sweetness, and a very clean after taste. I do get some of the toffee in the after taste and I think it give this beer that nice sweet not burn after taste. After all these things are considered I would give the Anchor Porter a nice 8.5 out of 10 suds. I may be coming back to this one and upping the suds once I have a few different porters under my belt. Great job Anchor I’m glad I am able to find more of your beers in Wisconsin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment