Friday, May 13, 2011

Ale Asylum Hopalicious

The Wisconsin micro brewery tour continues with Madisons Ale Asylum and their Hopalicious Ale. My first thoughts on this beer were that it was going to be packed with hop freshness and aroma, but I quickly realized I was wrong. The color was a light straw to golden with a real impressive head and retention. The aroma was lacking for a beer with the name Hopalicious. I would expect this beer to be bursting with fresh hops, especially because the description given on their web page says,  "Eleven separate additions of cascade hops give this American Pale Ale its lush citrus aroma and bold hop flavor without crazy bitterness." Well they were right on not giving it  crazy hop bitterness, the malt profile was the star in this one. I got a lot of bread, yeasty notes, with just the right amount of hop flavor. It was a little thin on the mouth, but overall I think the taste was way better then the actual smell of it. It there was a nice dry hop aroma to this beer it would be up there with some of the greats and for that I give this beer 7 out of 10 Suds.

No comments:

Post a Comment